Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How could I modify a garage door light bulb?

My garage door light bulb goes out every month, I guess it's due to all the vibration when the door opens/closes and the light turns on at the same time, Sears sells an anti-vibration light bulb for around $10, well I am not going to pay $10 for a single light bulb, does someone know how to modify the garage door opener so that I don't have to change light bulb every month? Thanks!How could I modify a garage door light bulb?I'd get one of those %26quot; screw in fixtures %26quot; that has the outlets on it and used to have a string. I would then use a light fixture and locate it where I want it - attach a plug to the end of it and plug it into the drawstring outlet.



You could get an old lamp - break it down so you have the plug end, cord, and light fixture .. .Mount it where you want it ...if it don't reach replace the cord with a longer one...don't go too far cause the resistance of the wire is going to be greater over distance.How could I modify a garage door light bulb?Maybe you can get a short cord with a plug on one end and a lamp socket on the other. Plug that in, put a bulb in the socket, and let it dangle. That will isolate the bulb from the vibration of the motor running. You could even mount that socket (with a longer cord) on the ceiling so it will not vibrate at all.



The part that tends to break is the filament. Try a CFL (compact fluorescent) bulb. It has no filament in it so no danger of the filament breaking. A lot of stores have them on sale cheap now because electric companies subsidize their cost as an energy-saving measure.How could I modify a garage door light bulb?get one of the sprial flour. to replace it with. they sell cheaper heavy duty bulbs for drop lights.. maybe a appliance bulb?How could I modify a garage door light bulb?Move the light . Get a short piece of cable , an appropriate JB and and a fixture . Mount the JB in the ceiling , Use a Greenlee punch to punch a hole for a connector in the case of the opener , splice as needed- problem solved.How could I modify a garage door light bulb?Rough service light bulb at any Home Depot.How could I modify a garage door light bulb?I got a great option for you to save all around. Get you a energy saver bulb! They last forever it seems and you can get the same lighting yet draws less watts to save $$$ on your electric bill.

I changed all the lights in my house over several months back and my bill dropped from $135 a month to $75! It was a real shocker and the lights I had the same problem you got of going out all the time, stopped!How could I modify a garage door light bulb?Go with the much, much easier options mentioned earlier - the same thing we tell our customers. Either a flour. or a %26quot;rough service%26quot; incandescent. If you go with an incan. bulb - no more than 60 watt even if 100 watt is the unit's maximum because it will eventually cause the light cover (if you have it) to turn yellow/brown. The bulbs are much easier, much safer for those not familiar with electrical wiring and will not void your unit's warranty!

No comments:

Post a Comment